Thursday 13 March 2014

Choosing a Tri Suit

When I was new to racing this one was a complete mystery to me. I had never worn anything like a Tri Suit before, I had no idea what I should be looking for, what sort of features I needed etc.

In my ignorance I probably made it a lot more complicated that it needed to be.

So what should you look for when selecting a tri suit. Well, like a lot of stuff in triathlon, fit is probably the most important aspect.

For me, fit is less about it being skin tight etc like you look for with a wetsuit, and more about being comfortable. You are potentially going to spend a lot of time in this suit, hours in fact, so it needs to be comfortable. It particularly needs to be comfortable when you swim, ride and run.


Tri suits all look very similar, and I think for the most part the differences aren't as great as manufacturers make out. However, one of the areas that they can vary quite a bit is the cut that is used. Most tri suits I have tried on have been comfortable, but a couple just haven't felt great. The cut around the arms has been too tight for me, or the collar around the neck has been too tight etc. Whatever the reason has been, there has been a little niggle or rub spot that I have known would get really annoying after a few hours. That is the sort of thing you want to look out for.

As well as finding a cut that is comfortable, you also need to choose a comfortable size. This can be a bit of a balancing act, particularly if you are buying a tri suit for non wetsuit races. If you are going to swim in your tri suit without a wetsuit or a swimskin, then you want something that is going to cause as little drag as possible. This is where fit is important. If a tri suit is too big, then it will drag when you are swimming which not only slows you down, but feels annoying too. However, you also don't want to choose something that is so tight that it restricts you. I think a good guide is as tight as you can go without movement feeling like it is restricted and without anything going blue. Like with wetsuits, the sizing chart can really come in handy for this part. I think with every suit I have had, the size recommended in the sizing chart was correct.

Size and cut are two of the reasons why it is a big advantage if you are able to try the gear on beforehand.

If you do go and try the tri gear on, make sure you move around a bit. Get your arms above your head, have a bit of a jog on the spot etc. This is a suit that you need to be able to move in comfortably, so make sure you can.

Beyond that, Tri suits have a few common properties, they will have a zip, they will have pockets and they will have a chamois. Most tri suits you find will have a zip at the front, some you find will have zips at the back. Generally back zip suits are intended for shorter events. Front zips are usually the go for longer events. You want to be able to loosen the suit for cooling and comfort if you need to, and in the case of a one piece suit you want to be able to get it off (sometimes quickly) in case you need a toilet stop.

Chamois wise it is a bit of personal preference. I don't like towelling type chamois, but that might just be me. No tri suit chamois that I have ever seen looks like it will be adequate for 90km, let along 180km. But every time I have been surprised, so don't worry too much about that. Needless to say that if you do have a preference, look for a suit that meets your needs.

Nearly every suit has a pocket, or two on the back. Any suit that doesn't have a pocket is aimed at shorter events. If you are doing longer events you should certainly be looking for a suit with pockets. Other than making sure they are there if you need them, every suit I have used has had pretty well designed pockets. They usually have a flap over the top to stop them filling with water when you swim and sometimes they are made from mesh, to let any water out. Other than that there isn't much to them. If you are trying the suit on, the only thing I would say to check is that you can reach the pocket easily, since you are likely to be doing this whilst running.

When I first was buying tri suits, I used to go for lighter coloured ones, since I was often racing in hot areas. I have since done quite a few races in darker suits and I don't think the colour has been as big a factor as I was expecting. I have come to think your body temperature is more heavily influenced by factors like how well you are hydrating and whether you are tipping water over yourself etc. Certainly if you are using the aid stations correctly in a hot race, I think the colour of your suit probably only plays a minor part. If you are planning hot races and you can find a light coloured tri suit that you like, by all means go for it, but I wouldn't let that criteria limit your choices.

Now finally, the big one. Two piece or one piece. I am going to be annoyingly non committal and say... Either. I have raced in both and really like both. I think at the moment my preference probably lies a little bit on the two piece side. I think they are easier to get comfortable. However, I have done lots of races with a one piece and was never particularly uncomfortable. If I was doing a non wetsuit swim without a swim skin, then I would most likely go one piece, just because I think they have less drag. Another positive for a one piece is that you can pour ice down the front of them and it hangs around in the suit for a bit longer. The top half of a one piece can also flap around a bit on the bike if it is too big. Pretty minor differences though. Once again it comes down to whichever you are going to be most comfortable in. This is one of those areas where there is no right or wrong answer.

So in summary:
  • Look for a suit that is comfortable. It shouldn't be too tight, or too loose, but most importantly it shouldn't rub or pinch or chafe anywhere.
  • The other considerations are minor and often down to personal preference
  • Two piece and one piece are both good. Which is right for you is a personal decision.


No comments:

Post a Comment