Wednesday 12 March 2014

Choosing a pair of running shoes

Hopefully this one is pretty straight forward.

To me choosing a pair of running shoes is all about choosing a pair that is right for you and right for what you do.

Unless you know your feet and know your running style pretty well, then I think it is really worth the time and expense it takes to get some good advice about running and running shoes. Particularly if you are looking at taking on a serious volume of running, ie starting to train for a Half Ironman or an Ironman. Whether you get some stride analysis done, or speak to a podiatrist, or even just talk to a good shoe store, I think it is important to get some input as to what you should be looking for in a running shoe.

I think too many people select their shoes by what was on special, or what the latest running fad is, without actually knowing what sort of shoe is best for them. They then start running, get injured and then stop. Sure there is often quite a few contributing factors to those injuries, usually doing too much too quickly is a big part. But I think shoe selection plays a part as well.

I am not going to go into what the best 'type' of shoe is, ie minimalist or high on padding and control, because in my opinion there isn't one. In my mind the best type of shoe is the one that is best for you. What is best for you? It is the shoe that allows you to run without getting hurt.

I will acknowledge that there are certainly types of running styles that we should aspire to, technique wise. You could make the argument that some running injuries are caused by people running badly. There are shoes that compensate for that poor technique, but a lot of people say we should fix the problem, not cover it up. Learn to run properly, rather than picking shoes that let you run badly. That all makes sense. But what if somebody doesn't know that they have poor technique, or doesn't have the will or knowledge of how to change. If your running style is one sort, then you would be foolish to buy shoes intended for a different running style. For example if I am a heavy heel striker, going out and buying the lightest pair of low rise minimalist shoes I can find it just setting myself up to get hurt. Yes I should work to improve my running style so I am not landing on my heels so heavily, but if I am not planning on changing, then buying the wrong shoes is just silly.

That isn't to say that the right 'type' of shoe for me won't change over time. As I get better at running, perhaps my technique will improve and the right sort of shoe for me will become a lighter, less cushioned shoe. But I shouldn' t select my shoe on how I am hoping I will one day run, I should select it on how I run right now. 

So that is about all the advice I have on this one. Find out what sort of shoe you need in order for you to run injury free and then get one that fits that description. There will still be any number of brands that make suitable shoes for you, so try a few on, have a bit of a play and figure out which one is best for you. Even if you are planning on regularly buying your shoes online, I think it is probably a good idea to go and buy your first pair from a shoe store. Yes you might pay more, but you get the added benefit of being able to try them on, which I think is very important in a shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment