Friday 16 June 2017

A Few Good Sessions

Another 24 hours and a couple of really great coaching experiences under my belt.

First up was a session down at Lake Monger with the crew from Front Runners.


In order for me to qualify for my Level 1 Development Coaching Certification I need to get 24 hours of probationary coaching experience. So far I have done about 14 hours, however, I am conscious that most of that experience has either been on the bike or down the pool and I haven't done much with any running coaches. Heading down to Lake Monger last night was a step towards rectifying that. 

I decided to head down to the Front Runner session because I obviously know the guys pretty well, but also because I can't think of anyone I would rather learn from when it comes to running and exercise physiology in general. 

Last night did not disappoint. Front runner coach and exercise physiologist Ben Green is an absolute gold mine of information and last night was a great chance to pick his brain while also watching him in action in coach mode. It is great to get information straight from the horses mouth, particularly when it is a horse whose knowledge you trust completely. Front Runner does a lot of things very well, but what they probably do best is understanding the science behind exercise and apply it. Of the many things I am hoping to learn from them, getting a better understanding of the science is number one. 

It was also a great opportunity to see a new coach working. Obviously every coach has their own ticks and quirks that make them, them. The more exposure I get to different coaches and their styles the more I get to see what I think will work for me and what I think won't. I am still deciding just what coaching looks like for me and watching other coaches work helps in that process.  

Finally, it is always a pleasure watching great runners in action. The squad last night has a broad cross section of athletes, but the pointy end of the squad run their 1km threshold efforts between 3:00/km and 3:30. Impressive to see, particularly when they make it look so easy. I have never really stood back and watched great runners train, usually I am too busy watching them disappear into the distance. Watching everyone run last night was a great experience.

The other coaching experience of the last 24 hours was down at Claremont Pool for the Friday Morning Swim Smooth Threshold session.  


This session was a bit more business as usual, but that didn't make it any less valuable in terms of a learning experience. I really enjoy being down at the pool for these sessions, obviously for the chance it gives me to catch up with folks, but also because every time I am down there I learn something new.

Today I thought I would test myself and so I tried to preemptively guess the paces that Paul would set for each of the lanes. I am proud to say I got one of the lanes spot on and was close on two others. I did happen to be massively off on the last lane, but three out of four ain't bad. Slowly but surely I feel I am learning from being down the pool and watching Paul work. Knowledge by osmosis.

Loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment