Thursday 22 June 2017

Not to Plan

Not been a day that has particularly gone to plan today.

As I wrote yesterday, the plan today was to head to Front Runners this morning before heading down in the afternoon to have a bit of a jog and then observe some of the Front Runner coaches in action. That wasn't how the day panned out.

This morning's part went okay. I got down to Front Runners in Wembley with no problem and we got the Kickrs and bikes set up with surprising ease. The setup that Front Runner has is pretty impressive, with a studio containing six Wahoo Kickr Snaps with software linking them all together and projecting the relevant data on the wall.  Very slick. The morning's activities also further reinforced my positive opinion of Wahoo products. I am not a huge fan of on wheel indoor trainers, but of the ones I have tried the Kickr Snap would have to be one of the better examples. I still don't like the wear they produce on your tyres and the slippage that you sometimes get, but given you get the functionality of a Kickr at around half the price, the Snap does make a compelling case. Once the Snap was up and rolling there was very little to differentiate the feel of the Snap and the full blown Kickr. Proper Wahoo quality and indestructibility at a reduced price is hard to argue with. Although, if forced to choose I would still take my direct drive Kickr (simply because I much prefer the direct drive design), the decision would be a harder one to make than I expected.


While the set up of the bikes and indoor trainer system was impressive and surprisingly easy, my body didn't play along quite as well.

Yesterday I mentioned that my heart had been playing up a bit and this morning that trend continued. Basically what I have been noticing over the last couple of days is some bouts of what I presume it ventricular tachycardia. That is certainly what it is feeling like anyway (compared to my previous experiences). This is a similar symptom to what I was getting pre-ablation. In short tachycardia is when you get a crazy fast heart rate. Because the heart is beating too fast it isn't filling properly and so it isn't working very efficiently. To give you an idea this morning my heart rate would shoot up from 120bpm to around 190bpm. As you can imagine it doesn't feel very good and it is also kind of dangerous. Each time the heart did it I would stop and let it calm down, but frustratingly I had a couple of bouts of it. In the end I was able to complete a very easy spin for 40 minutes or so without further incident, but it was not a great morning out.

Exercise has been going so well for the last little while this new development is a real kick in the guts. My cardiologist has warned me that no matter how good things are feeling I can have a return of symptoms at any point. This could well be that, but actually I am hoping that these current issues may be caused by something else. My suspicion is that my current heart issues are being exacerbated by a lack of sleep. I haven't really been getting enough sleep for the last two weeks and I suspect that accumulating sleep debt has come back to bite me. I have certainly been feeling very tired and that does tend to make the heart worse.

My plan is to try and improve my sleep patters in the immediate future and see if that helps things. I will also be taking the exercise easier for obvious reasons. I am really hoping that will some more rest I will see some nice improvements in how the heart is behaving. As I said it has been going along so nicely of late, it would be great it that continued.

With my heart playing up the way it was I decided to forgo any exercise this afternoon and simply come home and spend time with my kids. Sometimes that is the best medicine available.

Now that the kids are in bed though it is probably time for me to start thinking about heading in the same direction, after all I have a sleep debt to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment